Cats are creatures of habit in a way and like having their space to hang out and also take naps. A good Cat Condo can fulfill a number of functions – it can be a play pen, gym and also a place to sleep for your cats. So, how does one go about picking the right condo for their pampered cat?
How to choose a good condo?
Having cats as a pet is definitely a common thing in quite a few households – almost every alternate house loves to pet a cat. While such an adorable pet is at home with you always, don’t you think that it needs to be a bit more comfortable that the usual self? This is where the Cat Condo comes in to picture. There are a few factors which have to be considered when shopping around for condos – a bit of patience can result in the purchase of the perfect one.
Types of Condos:
There are quite a few condos available with very simple or highly elaborate designs. The basic condo has an enclosed space with an opening or a door. Condos can have multiple levels as well which serve many functions. Cats like climbing and getting them a multilevel condo is a wonderful idea. A cat house is a good option to have if a cat spends its half its time outside. A pet house for an indoor cat is the perfect space to get away for some quiet time and long naps.
What to look at while buying a condo for your cat?
- Size: It is very important to take the size of one’s cat into consideration when looking around for condos. Cat condos are available in a number of sizes – a well designed condo offers a cat enough room to stand and move around and be very comfortable. Keep this in mind while shopping around.
- Materials: Well made condos or furniture last a long time – make sure that the condo is made of durable, easy to clean materials and constructed well too. It will last a long time and is cost effective in the long run. Cat condos can be made of solid wood, plywood and other materials. Make sure that it is covered with good quality carpet or faux fleece of fur. Most materials are usually washable and this is important for general cleanliness.
- Made to match: Kitty condos are available in a variety of shapes and sizes and covered with different materials – check out caves and palaces. There is something to suit everyone’s taste and also fit in with their décor.
- Shapes: Pet owners can choose from square, oval or round condos. Some of these condos even have platforms, scratching posts and ramps built in to the design and offer cats different types of spaces to play and just hang out. Owners can choose from single storey or 2-storey cat condos depending on whether they have one or multiple cats at home.
Other Tips to consider:
- Keep in mind that a condo should be well made and stable to avoid accidents. Choose one with a wide base so it doesn’t tip over. This feature is important if it is a combination of a tree and condo.
- Condos should be covered with washable materials which are easy to keep clean – good hygiene is important for the pet as well as the owner.
- Pick a condo which offers plenty of places where cats can indulge their need to scratch. Pick a condo which has extras like toys and tunnels. This will help to keep a cat entertained for extended periods of time.