In many parts of the U.S. late spring and early summer are the perfect times to allow your dogto spend more time outdoors. However, there are also many lurking hazards for canines.
Holly Anderson Mastroianni is the owner of Royal Flush Havanese, a BBB accredited business specializing in breeding and raising Havanese puppies for sale in the U.S. Below are three of the top summertime threats she warns her clients about.
During the winter, many harsh chemical compounds can be dropped on the roads in an effort to relieve icy conditions. Although the temperatures are now warmer, many of these chemicals can still be found on paved roads and sidewalks. Any dog walking on these surfaces can pick up the chemicals on the pads of their paws. When dogs clean themselves, then run the risk of ingesting the chemicals. Avoid this by cleaning the pads of a dog’s paws with a wet cloth every time they have been walked.
Additionally, as it continues to warm up, be cautious of the temperature of asphalt and concrete dogs are asked to walk on. Because asphalt is dark in color, it heats up much faster than the air. Pavement that is too hot can be painful for dogs to walk on, and cause blisters on the pads of their paws.
Many common indoor and outdoor plants can be toxic to pets. Summertime is planting season, and many families spend time landscaping, gardening, or setting up their compost. All owners should be conscious of what plants are accessible to pets, even if they are not toxic.
Common plants that are in fact toxic to dogs include green parts of potatoes, daffodils, oak buds and acorns, azaleas, carnations, holly, honeysuckle, tomato plants (excluding ripe fruit), wisteria, and onions. In addition, compost bins can brew several different types of mold that can be poisonous to animals. Similarly, several types of mulch can also be poisonous, and smaller landscaping stones are easy for dogs to choke on. Keep pets out of and away from all gardens and compost areas.
Weed Killer Worries
Summertime is the ideal time of year for application of weedkillers, pesticides, insecticides, and fungicides to lawns. All of these compounds can be harmful– if not life threatening– to canines, even in small doses. In particular, the scent of rat poison can be attractive to dogs. If ingested, this can quickly prove fatal. Dog owners should avoid spraying any chemicals on their lawn, as pets can ingest them either directly, through their skin, or by licking their paws. Chemicals can even be collected and then ingested through water runoff that has collected in puddles within the yard.
All pet owners should also be vigilant when walking their pets, taking care to avoid walking on any grass that has been sprayed with pesticides of any kind. According to Ms. Mastroianni, other items that should be avoided and kept away from animals include paint, auto supplies, gasoline and motor oil.