Millions of people can’t imagine their life without pets. There are cat-lovers and those who adore dogs, someone prefer birds or even exotic animals. Pets bring joy into any home, they can be friends, companions and eventually become a part of your family. However, pet adoption is a great responsibility, because it is a living creature and you need to care for it every day and be ready to spend your time and money. So, if you have never owned a pet before and decided to get one, think twice about many new aspects it will bring into your life. To make this process easier for you, here are some pieces of advice for you to consider while choosing a pet.
- First of all, make sure that you can afford it. However small and undemanding your future pet may be, it will definitely need money and regular maintenance. Calculate expectable cots and think whether they fit your budget.
- Next, choose the pet that will suit your lifestyle. Are you an active person or a family man? Do you travel a lot? Will you have time for your new pet and who it will stay with while your vacation? Keep in mind, that there are animals that require more care than others. You will have to walk a dog at least twice a day and clean your hamster’s cage regularly. Even a fish needs fresh water and constant filtering.
- Do you have enough space for the pet you want? No matter how much you love big dogs, you won’t be able to keep one in a one-room flat. Let alone any wild exotic animals which need their own large territory. Many reptiles require special temperature and lightning conditions.
- Make sure that you are sure. If you hesitate, give yourself a test-drive and petsit for your friend to feel what it is like.
Where to find a pet
- Buy individually. You can find some friends breeding pets or search through the Internet on sites where people post classifieds for free. Still, this way you will have the least consumer rights.
- Pet shops. Ensure that your local pet shop is licensed from the authority and provides high-level conditions for pets. Check its rating and review online.
- Rescue centers. The noblest way to get an pet is to adopt it from a shelter or a rescue center. Many dogs and cats lack home and are waiting for a caring hand there. However, you can’t know much about such a pet’s past and character.
- Breeders. Buying a pet from a breeder is the safest and the most expensive way, because you needn’t worry about its past, can have full information about its health condition. Besides, well-bred pets are the least likely to have any behavior problems.
Welcome your new friend
- After you have brought your pet home, let it get used to everything.
- Search for a good vet in your area and arrange regular visits to him to control your pet’s health.