Many people enjoy having pets – cats, dogs, ferrets and birds to name a few. The market for pet related toys and furniture is quite a huge one – many cat owners love to find ways to let their pet indulge in their habits like playing and scratching. Not all cat furniture and toys are created equal – one can find condos, scratching posts, Cat Trees and toys made out of all kinds of material and of varying quality. It is always a good idea to buy good quality furniture as it lasts a long time and is very economical too. Here are a few tips that will help you to buy the right kind of furniture when you plan to go shopping and pamper your kitty at home.
What to look for:
- Weight or Maximum load: A well made piece of Cat furniture can be distinguished by its weightiness and how stable it is when a pet is using it. It shouldn’t tip over when a cat leaps onto it. Weight is important because in a family with young children and pets, it is necessary for a piece to be stable. Make sure that it is well made and will keep together being wobbly. Good cat furniture is designed and made to be sturdy in nature. As it is with the Cat Trees, it is equally important for it to be sturdy and steady always, as the cat will tend to climb on it quite often.
- Natural materials: Good furniture is best made with natural wood regardless of whether it is being made for a pet or a human. Avoid buying furniture made with particle board, treated and manufactured board as many of these materials can be toxic. Ensure that each piece is well finished and sanded so that splinters don’t damage a pet’s paws. Treated wood might have chemicals like formaldehyde.
- Good quality rope – Vets have been recommending sisal rope for pets for many years now. Pet owners should ensure that un-oiled rope is used to make different pieces so that cats can keep their claws healthy. Thickness is important as well- buy thicker rope as it lasts a lot longer.
- Carpets: Good quality carpets last a lot longer than the faux variety. Make sure that the carpet used on furniture pieces is made of nylon or olefin. It has to be stapled on instead of glued on as adhesives can put out toxic fumes.
- Fastener quality: Well made cat furniture is secured using wood or lag screws. Lag screws are known for being very strong and ensure that wood is gripped well and not pop out. Avoid buying any furniture that has only nails for fasteners. It is imperative to ensure that wood glues are the non toxic variety. A combination of screws and glue will ensure that the joints hold together well.
General appeal of the furniture
Whether you are buying the complete set of furniture or just the cat condos or the Cat Trees, it is important as well, more for the owner than the cat that it is appealing to the eye. When one is buying a large piece of furniture for their pet, consumers have to like the way it looks as it will be part of their home. Visual appeal and aesthetics is important – make sure that all the above features are an integral part and also that the piece in question will last a few years.
As with anything else, people usually get what they pay for. It is fairly easy to find good kitty furniture in the market – So, Happy shopping!