Dental health is of utmost importance for humans and for pets. While you spend hours trying to look perfect, you tend to miss out on the dental hygiene very often. Dental health should be taken seriously by one and all. You need to ensure that your dog’s teeth get a good cleaning at all times. There are a number of side effects of poor dental health in dogs. It could lead to multiple infections including heart disease.
There are a number of ways you can ensure that the dental health of your dog is optimum.
- Brush: We brush our teeth every single day, how often do you brush your dog’s teeth? It may not be the most enjoyable activity, but it is very essential. Invest in a toothbrush and toothpaste which is pet-friendly and get to scrubbing. You only need to remain focused on cleaning the outside of the teeth. Ensure that your dog enjoys this experience by giving him treats and praise him for the good behavior.
- Take routine checks: Avoid any form of dental issues by keeping an eye on the mouth of your dog. If you notice any signs like loose teeth, excessive drooling or reddened gums, it is time to give your vet a call. Consider bad breath as a sign or oral disease. Visit a vet and set a dental routine. You can examine the teeth of your dog at home on a regular basis. It is advisable to have an oral examination of the dog done every six months.
- Get the dog to chew: Chewing is natural to dogs and one can also benefit their oral hygiene through it. Get the dog to chew ropes, toys, bones, and rawhide which will provide friction on the gumline and can act as a natural flosser. Buy chew toys for your dog which are ideal for his size and let them start chewing. Keep in mind to replace the materials when they are worn and buy durable toys for aggressive dogs. If the dog has sensitive teeth, buy softer toys.
- Monitor the diet: Diet can have an impact on the dog in multiple ways. You need to ensure that you feed your pet a balanced diet. For dogs that have issues with tooth health, use specially formulated food which does not crumble. Speak to your vet before making a major change in their dog and chose dental health food that is reliable and authentic. Dogs can eat anything which is why you need to make sure that the dog does not have access to trash.
- Tasty treats: There are a number of treats available in the market which does double duty. While the dog can savor the treats, it helps remove plaque by a simple act of chewing. These products are highly recommended as they help clean teeth and promote fresh breath. It also helps reduce tartar and plaque. Do not consider it as a complete solution to the problem. Even if you use treats, you need to ensure that you visit a vet every six months and get a routine checkup.
These five Tips to Improve Your Dog’s Dental Health will help you ensure that your dog has a healthy mouth. You can use these tips on a regular basis at home. However, you need to keep in mind that a visit to the vet is a must every six months. Even when the dog shows no signs of dental trouble, it is better to visit a vet for a regular checkup in order to avoid any infections.
There are a number of products available in the market which helps maintain the dental hygiene. You can choose from the large number of treats or chew toys for the dogs which have multiple benefits. By simply chewing on the toys, the dog will be able to strengthen the gums, similarly, the treats will help the dog remove plaque and improve their dental health. Consider the age of the dog when you buy treats or toys. If your dog has had a dental infection in the past, it is advisable to maintain the routine checkups without any excuse. Never overlook an infection in the dog as it might lead to something serious. A vet can guide you through the process of maintaining oral hygiene and can also inform you about the signs of bad dental health. Keep a check on the dog and see if there is anything troubling him while he chews.